Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Chance favors an open mind

I have had the fortune of meeting two strangers that became friends in the last month, each providing a new outlook on the meaning of accomplishment and success.

How do strangers become friends? Be ready.

It is so easy to get caught in your usual routine, doing the same daily tasks you always do. There is comfort in a predictable life and that is understandable. But consider, once in awhile, peeking over the clouds of routine and look around to see the unknown.

My life is usually booked, minute to minute, that's how I like it. But last month I stopped to talk to someone that I may usually miss because I felt opportunity. I didn't know what it was but I stopped for a moment and spent some time with this person. It turns out this is a friend I had not yet met and we have many things to share. I feel very lucky for taking the time.

And then again this week, for some reason I contacted another stranger, no particular agenda, but just to stop and listen to opportunity. And again, it turns out we have many things to share and learn from each other. I think this meeting might turn out to be another special relationship.

But it would have been easy to keep my head down and do those things that are comfortable. What I know is that if we want to grow we need to embrace change, opportunity, and be willing.

Open your mind to possibilities that you do not know - you might find just the thing you were missing.

No comments: